Sunday, May 11, 2008

Random Reflections from my Mother’s Day!

enjoying the moment (after coming home from church)

“My” day started out pretty good. I had my lesson ready, my boys dressed and ready to go (minus Jake, he was post call and ready to crash in bed), and we were on our way to church with time to spare. This being about the third time in the last 3 years that we have been early to church. I was also adorned in my new jewelry that I had received for Mother’s Day. The gold colored twine really accented the multicolored shrinkie dink and random letters charms that were attached at the front. Logan reassured me that the charms were in fact not random, the Z represented “I love you”, z represented “you love me”, and T represented “hugs”. But I don’t know, I get the feeling that maybe he was making it up as he went, either way my jewelry was definitely eye catching.
After arriving at church I decided to sit in the back pew instead of our usual spot - the farthest row of chairs in the overflow section next to the door. It was after all a special occasion, we were actually at church on time. The boys were unusually reverent, keeping themselves busy coloring (Logan) and eating snacks (Mason), and I was so excited to have a chance to actually listen to the “Mother’s Day” talks. And then this is how the rest of the meeting went.
Glance at Logan and wonder “why are there purple marker dots all over your face?” Grab a wet wipe try to clean them off a wiggling, whining boy which resulted in pink spots that then looked like actual sores. Seeing that I was distracted, Mason tried to make an escape under the pew. Luckily I caught his ankle in time. But pulling the 50 pounder back as his chubby little fingers were clinging to the back of the pew was a bit difficult. Although at this point I felt as though I still had things under control. This thought was quickly dispelled however. By the 5th time I was dragging Mason back from under the pew with one hand and dragging Logan back with the other (Logan noticed how much fun Mason was having and thought we would join in), I realized that this was going to be a memorable Mother’s Day, just not in the way I was hoping for. I began wondering what all the families in the over flow were thinking watching all of this commotion taking place, not to mention the stake president sitting in the front with a perfect view. This thought was quickly interrupted with again wresting with my children and then reminding them to whisper (they are literally unable to control the volume of their voice, and also have NO internal monologue). By some strange fluke I was able to catch glimpses of the speakers’ talks. And what I heard from BOTH of them was the same story in which the mother was saying she wished she had done more of living in the moment and enjoying her children in the little everyday activities that they were doing. This I found somewhat amusing and was thinking that she surely had some Mom-nesia and was not talking about all the not-so-reverent church meetings. Then again most families probably don‘t have wrestling matches during sacrament meeting like ours does.
Nevertheless, I did think that the overall message was great. And after making it through all three hours of church, and coming home to sleep off the pains of dealing with my little stinkers, I mean angels, I’m ready to spend the rest of my day living in the moment and enjoying all of my boys’ everyday activities!

6 comments:

Joni Wiedrich said...

That sounds strangely familiar to how my day went yesterday!

cbull said...

Shelly your blog is awesome!! It's like you've been doing it for years! The story about the mom stuck in my mind too. Sometimes I don't take time to enjoy the little moments, I just need to slow down because the part where the mom said "ok it's bath, brush, bed" sounded just like me. Maybe we'll see you on Wed. at park day.

Jenny Dahl said...

I'm totally laughing! I wouldn't even notice any other happenings at church because I'm too worried about the ruckus my own are causing. I can't tell you how many times we picked crayons off the floor because they were fighting over a color and of course spilled them every time. You are in good company!
Glad you figured out how to get comments on your blog!

Heidi said...

Yep, that was me yesterday too. Kolby was at work so I was struggling with the kiddos during sacrament (which is last in our ward) and they were restless and in rare form because of course it is Mother's Day and I think every little kid just somehow knows to be extra naughty on Mother's Day. It is a lot easier to enjoy the little moments with your kids when they are behaving and they are "good" moments!
Your blog is cute and I am excited to start keeping in touch with you guys! Your boys are so cute!!
*Are you able to get on my blog now??

Annie said...

Candace is right - you're already a blog PRO! And don't worry...I was sitting on the stand and didn't notice ANY chaos coming from your bench (maybe cause I was too busy watching my little fams chaotic pew in front of you!!!) Anyway...have fun on your trip and I'll see you in July!

Anonymous said...

Shelly--I really enjoy your wonderful blog. It's fun for me to be able to keep up on my "other grandkids". Your mother's day sounded delightful. Just look forward to many more just like it!! Keep up the good work!!